Experienced Estate & Trust Litigation Attorneys
Rodney J. Mason
RETIRED-June 13, 2023
Mr. Mason practiced law for more than 46 years and has now retired effective June 13, 2023. He no longer provides legal advice or services. He now resides in Portland, Oregon along with his wife of more than 51 years, his two children and their spouses and his four school-aged grandchildren. He looks forward to new involvements and interests, catching up on his personal reading, walking and hiking in the Cascade Mountains, on the beaches of Oregon and Washington, and exploring the great city of Portland. Beyond that, he is excited to spend more time with his family and all three generations. He greatly enjoyed his practice of law and now moves on to the next steps. Opportunity beckons everywhere.
Mr. Mason is a 1976 graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School which he attended after spending two years in the United States Army, including a shortened stint as an infantryman in Vietnam.
When he retired in 2023, he was licensed to practice law in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Oregon and before the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. He has been a member of the American Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Ramsey County Bar Association, the Wisconsin State Bar Association, and the Oregon State Bar Association.
Mr. Mason's practice for the last twenty plus years centered on litigation relating to family inheritance disputes in the trial courts and appellate courts for the States of Minnesota and Wisconsin and in Federal trial and appellate courts.
Along with his law practice, Mr. Mason was heavily involved in community affairs. He has served as president or other officer of several non-profit corporations, which have provided housing for homeless men, women and children, housing and nursing home services for senior citizens, and mental health services to the community. He has served on blue ribbon task forces for the St. Paul School District, and was a member of the Midway Chamber of Commerce for more than 20 years.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1976
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
- B.A. - 1967
- Honors: cum laude
- Bredberg v. Long, 778 F.2d 1285, 27 Wage & Hour Cas. (BNA) 721, 1985, 8th Cir.(Minn.)
- Bredberg v. Long, 103 Lab.Cas. P 34,720, 1985, 8th Cir.(Minn.)
- Laska v. Laska, 255 Wis.2d 823, 646 N.W.2d 393, 2002 WI App 132, 2002, Wis.App.
- In re Estate of Feyen, 2005, Minn.App.
- In re Estate of Stewart, 2005, Minn.App.
- Hagen v. Burmeister & Associates, Inc., 633 N.W.2d 497, 2001, Minn.
- In re Thomas J. Mellgren Trust Agreement, 2001, Minn.App.
- Hagen v. American Agency, Inc., 617 N.W.2d 799, 16 IER Cases 1574, 2000, Minn.App.
- Hagen v. Burmeister & Associates, Inc., 1999, Minn.App.
- International Financial Services, Inc. v. Franz, 534 N.W.2d 261, 26 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 1137, 1995, Minn.
- International Financial Services, Inc. v. Franz, 515 N.W.2d 379, 23 UCC Rep.Serv.2d 1078, 1994, Minn.App.
- Harpster v. Hetherington, 512 N.W.2d 585, 1994, Minn.
- Harpster v. Hetherington, 1993, Minn.App.
- Tower Ins. Co. v. Good News Church, Inc., 1993, Minn.App.
- Finn v. National Camera Exchange, Inc., 1992, Minn.App.
- Patel v. Metropolitan Transit Com'n, 444 N.W.2d 584, 1989, Minn.App.
- Avery v. Solargizer Intern., Inc., 427 N.W.2d 675, 1988, Minn.App.
- Wills v. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co., 364 N.W.2d 504, 1985, Minn.App.
- Pearson-Berke, Inc. v. McIntosh, 350 N.W.2d 378, 1984, Minn.
- AV Rating (Highest Possible) through Martindale-Hubbell's Peer Review System
Classes & Seminars
- Business Law, Northwestern College, Bethel College
- Non-Profit Organizations: Housing, Mental Health, Homeless
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Ramsey County Bar Trusts & Estates Section, Co-Chair, 2011 to 2013
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
- The German Commonwealth of International Lawyers and Notaries, Patent Agents, Tax Consultants, Certified Public Accountants, Member
Current Employment Position